Listed in order of preparation

I can provide examples of all relevant forms


This is required to be submitted to your celebrant no earlier than 18 months or no later than one calendar month prior to the date of your ceremony.  A copy may be found here or your celebrant can provide you with one.  It contains information that must be supported by documentation and witnessed by your celebrant.  It is sent to Births, Deaths and Marriages by your celebrant within 14 days of your ceremony. The documentation required is outlined on the NOIM itself, however:

♥ If you were born in Australia than your ORIGINAL birth certificates or Australian issued passports are required.  If you don’t have access to ID stating your name and place of birth, your options need to be discussed with your celebrant.

♥ If you were born outside of Australia then your overseas passport is required.   If this is not available you may provide your birth certificate.  If any of these are in a language other than english a translation must be provided by a NAATI approved translator.

♥ If you were previously married the ORIGINAL copy of your divorce certificate is required.  In the circumstances of death the ORIGINAL death certificate of your partner is required.  These need to be sighted by your celebrant at any time prior to the ceremony, and the certificate number is needed to fill out the NOIM.

♥ As well as the above documents another form of I.D such as a drivers licence or proof of age card must be sighted by your celebrant.

♥ All relevant documents MUST be sighted by your celebrant prior to your  wedding ceremony.


This is a marriage education pamphlet provided to you by your celebrant when you submit your NOIM.


This form is filled out as close to the day of your ceremony as possible but not on the actual day.  It is a declaration of who you are and your legal eligibility to wed.  It is found on the back of the Marriage Certificate and is sent to Births Deaths and Marriages by your celebrant within 14 days of your ceremony.


There are two Marriage Certificates that are signed as part of your marriage ceremony.  One is sent to Births, Deaths and Marriages along with the declaration to register your marriage as legally binding.  The second is kept by your marriage celebrant for their records (this one is also known as the Marriage Register).  They both must be signed by the Bride and Groom, their witnesses and the marriage celebrant on the day of the Ceremony.


This is the final Marriage Certificate that is given to you, the couple, on the day of your ceremony. This is for you to keep as a commemoration of the day.  It is signed by all those mentioned above but is not considered a legal document.  An official (registered) Marriage Certificate must be applied for through Births, Deaths and Marriages after the marriage has been registered.  This must be applied for by you and not your celebrant.

Any further information can be found on


♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥



The ceremony can take any form you wish, and can contain many rituals and significant moments outside of what may be considered to be tradition.  However, to make it a legally binding union the following statements must be made at some point during the ceremony, in front of your witnesses.



“My name is (celebrants full name) and I am duly authorised by law to solemnise marriages according to law.”

“Before you are joined in marriage in my presence and the presence of these witnesses, I am to remind you of the solemn and binding nature of the relationship into which you are now about to enter.

Marriage, according to law in Australia, is the union of a man and a woman to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life.”


♥ Depending on your own personal views on marriage equality, you may like to make a statement that acknowledges the differences between your beliefs and those currently held by the Australian government.  This is fantastic!  However, the wording of the above legal statements must be said verbatim.



“I call upon the persons here present, to witness that I (A.B), take you (C.D), to be my lawful wedded wife/husband.”


♥ This may be incorporated into your vows or the repeat after me/I Do section of the ceremony.  It is the only time you must use your full names, and it must be said by both the bride and the groom.  ‘You’ may be substituted with ‘thee’ if desired. 




⇒Code of Practice for Marriage Celebrants

As a Commonwealth appointed Celebrant, I am obligated by law to meet certain service standards.  Everything you need to know about what a Celebrant is required to do for you can be found in the above form.  Don’t forget – we are performing a LEGAL service for you!  We need to meet ongoing professional development targets annually and have a huge responsibility to ensure that all the required legalities are taken care of.

⇒Notice of Intended Marriage

This is what needs to be submitted one calendar month prior to your wedding date.  Download away my friends!

Copyright Victoria Eustace 2014